zp_man-db-update-index.dash creates C:\cygwin64\%SystemDrive%

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Wed Nov 24 18:19:46 GMT 2021

Миронов Леонид Владимирович via Cygwin writes:
> Recently when cygwin setup runs windows 10 started creating
> "C:\cygwin64\%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Caches"
> folder - exactly like that, with %SystemDrive% not expanded,
> containing the following files
[…]
> Turned out that the culprit is the
> /etc/postinstall/zp_man-db-update-index.dash script which runs at the
> end of every setup session, although I couldn't figure why: it just
> runs mandb with some fancy redirection and nothing untoward happens
> when it is run manually and with admin privileges, but the folder in
> question was never created until I ran mandb to create man index which
> for some reason was not created automatically during installation, and
> when /var/cache/man/index.db is removed which effectively disables
> this script this folder is not created. I am baffled.

Me too.  Apparently this is some bug deep in the bowels of Windows that
triggers when neither SystemDrive nor ProgramData are defined in the
environment and a new console session gets created.  It seems I can work
around getting the extra directories created by defining SystemDrive in
a certain nonsensical way, but it really is an ugly hack; I'll have to
see if there's a better fix.

Regards,
Achim.