Re: Strange git issue with a particular repo

On 2018-08-05 08:01, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/5/2018 5:31 AM, James Darnley wrote:
>> You can clone it successfully on Windows if you enable case sensitivity,
>> which is probably not recommended but possible with a registry change.
> I wouldn't say this is not recommended.  It's documented in the Cygwin User's
> Guide:
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive
> I've been setting up my Cygwin systems to be case sensitive for years with no
> problems.

Cygwin could now support doing so in its own directories on current Win releases:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/02/28/per-directory-case-sensitivity-and-wsl/

with currently documented interfaces:

fsutil file {query|set}CaseSensitiveInfo <dir-path> [enable|disable]

although this "flag" does not appear to be an inheritable attribute, so has to
be manually applied recursively to subdirs.

It also appears to be supported by DrvFS mount option case=off|dir|force, where
the first two alternatives honour the flag, the second and third adds it to
directories created on those mounts, and the third ignores the flag treating all
names as case sensitive.

This might be useful as a Windows git option, but not under Cygwin just now,
unless someone added support for an option supporting it on earlier releases also.