Re: Problematic interpretion of paths starting with double slashes

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018 um 10:09 Uhr
> Von: "Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
> On Jun 12 22:01, Achim Gratz wrote:
> > Sven Eden writes:
> > > Doing a simple stat on / if (and only if) the UNC lookup
> > > fails, does not endanger anything. It wouldn't break
> > > anything or do any other damage. Besides from adding an
> > > additional <0.01s lag to any failed access that *really*
> > > meant a network share.
> > >
> > > So no. Adding this tiny extra functionality wouldn't break
> > > anything for anybody, but allowed the usage of software that
> > > relies on the non-cygwin behaviour. (And is outside the
> > > users control.)
> >
> > Well, it does break things if both
> >
> > //this/or/that
> > /this/or/that
> >
> > exist and then at some point host "this" becomes unreachable. So I'd
> > keep //unc/path to mean just that on principle.
>
> ACK

True, if /this isn't just a mount point for //this, meaning
that the "that"s are two different files.

Apart from the urge to question the sanity of anybody
setting something up like that, I see that this is a serious
objection to consider.

I mean, seriously, something like that *is* prone to typos,
and whoever does that will end up manipulating/using the
wrong file rather often anyway.

Which leads to the point that such a setup makes injecting
not mounted network shares like that quite dangerous...

Just my thoughts... Doesn't matter anymore anyway, as my main
question of interest was answered. ;-)

Sven