RE: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 16:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 01:15:08, "Jannick" wrote:
> > the current version 4.1.4 of gawk appears to unpleasantly treat CR for
> > CRLF files, i.e. CR is not gracefully swallowed, but is a separate
character.

> > This makes some, if not all, of the scripts we are working with here
> > useless, unless the input files are converted to LF which certainly is
> > not feasible. IIRC the issue did not show up some versions back.
> >
> > Is this a bug - or am I missing something here?
>
> Learn to read:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00033.html

Thanks - quickly done.

The link reveals that CRLF/LF conversion is now mandatory to work with
cygwin's gawk on DOS machines. As far as I can see there is no legacy
solution like for, e.g., sed (-b switch) to have an easy solution for the
issue, especially when invoking gawk from makefiles (piping).

I consider this bad news while admittedly not fully understanding the whole
background of the move which is not necessary for now.