Re: GNU Tar v1.29 ACL File/Folder Permissions Question/Problem

On 2017-07-22 10:16, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 4:59 PM, Timothy Beryl Grahek wrote:
>> Whenever I have ACL enabled in /etc/fstab, I run into file access
>> problems with GNU Tar. To be clear, a simple scenario is to tar a few
>> folders, then extract them. In numerous cases, I am unable to enter
>> the folders I have extracted without entering a "chmod 744" as an
>> administrator.
>> I have consequently disabled ACL in /etc/fstab, which has fixed this problem.
>> Anybody have any ideas as to why this happens and how to avoid it
>> without disabling ACL?
>
> Could the problem be caused by the default ACL on the directory you're
> extracting into?  If so, the -b or -k option to 'setfacl' might help.  See
>
>   https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setfacl.html

Could be lack of any DACL?
Don't ever use setfacl -k to remove DACLs from any directory where you may ever
use Windows programs to create, move, or drop a file, as it may end up with deny
all permissions, and you have to go elevated/admin to restore access.
BTDT ;^>
I use native Windows, not X, programs when I want to use GUIs, and that
occasionally causes problems like this.