Re: How to repeat a bash shell script until success

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/14/2017 1:27 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2017-07-12, Bryan Dunphy wrote:
> >> I have a shell script, originally created for Mac OS X. that waits
> >> for an external drive to be mounted (by testing an “ls” of the
> >> volume’s root directory for success) then runs an “rsync” command.
> >> How do I get the script to be run repeatedly until successful exit
> >> under Cygwin?
> >>
> >> Here is the unmodified Mac OS version of the script:
> >>
> >> #!/bin/bash
> >> if ls /Volumes/Shared >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
> >> then
> >>         rsync -avz --compress-level=9 --delete-during --partial --exclude 'cache/' aleph.gutenberg.org::gutenberg /Volumes/Shared/Project-Gutenberg
> >>         exit 0
> >> else
> >>         exit 1
> >> fi
> >
> > Let the name of your script be "myscript".  The following will run
> > myscript every two seconds until it succeeds.
> >
> >     while ! myscript; do sleep 2; done
> >
> > This is really a bash programming question and is not specific to
> > Cygwin.
> >

> In reality the OP script appears to be executed in a crontab system and
> executed every X minutes.  So a change to the OP question is needed
> which is answered at[1].  Let's remember some people have no real clue
> as to what question they should ask and we need to interpret what is
> being asked into what should have been asked.  If interpretation isn't
> possible then asking for a use case would be warranted.
>
> [1]
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/707184/how-do-you-run-a-crontab-in-cygwin-on-windows

Actually, the correct question would be: how do I run a bash script
when a USB stick is mounted ?

Which is doable via Task Scheduler and a event log trigger. See
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/task-scheduler-how-to-automatically-synchronize-my/45a49d83-b1d8-4d37-8896-3d2696cf9795
on how to locate the appropriate event,

As for the script:

- don't use ls for checking file/directory presence use -f/-d (man test)
- you will need to adjust paths (cygwin has windows drives under
/cygdrive (cygpath -h)

On how to run the script from Task Scheduler use an action like this:

C:\Tools\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe -c /cygdrive/c/tools/cygwin64/home/bryan/bkp.sh
(adjust your paths accordingly )