Re: distinguishing cygwin from mingw binaries

On 10.07.2017 10:40, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
For my personal use, I use gcc to generate binaries, but occasionally I need to make a binary available to someone who doesn't use Cygwin. For that I use
Cygwin's x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc.

After the fact, I would like to know whether the binary requires Cygwin support
or not. One way is: strings foo.exe | grep cygwin1.dll

Curious what techniques others might use.

There is always the technique of actually packaging the program deliverables and then testing them, beginning with installation, if you were the end-user.

If the program doesn't run when installed by itself in C:\Program Files
somewhere, then it might be missing DLLs.

I use a special fork of Cygwin called Cygnal for delivering programs to
users who don't use Cygwin and don't understand POSIX conventions for paths
and other things.

http://www.kylheku.com/cygnal/

With this, you make your executable with the regular Cygwin host compiler.
Yes, you know your executable needs a CYGWIN1.DLL (and possibly others);
no guesswork. You package the needed DLL's with the program.

Except, you use the CYGWIN1.DLL from the Cygnal project rather than the
stock Cygwin one.

Example software shipping with Cygnal is the port of the TXR language to
Win32 and Win64. Installers available here:
https://bintray.com/kazinator/Binaries/TXR/