Re: Git without SSH Server and cygrunsrv

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 05:59:45AM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 13/06/2017 02:13, mlists wrote:
> >Hi,
> >how can I install Git without binutils, cygrunsrv, python and OpenSSH
> >server?
> >
> >I want to work with remote repositories using clone/pull/push, built
> >would like to avoid having to install a ton of other things that won't
> >be used.
>
> cygrunsrv is part of the cygwin package.

This isn't true: cygrunserv is pulled in as an openssh dependency.

> python is a dependency of git
>  (due to /usr/libexec/git-core/git-p4)

I have a vague intention of separating out git-p4 into a separate
package, primarily so that the core git package doesn't need to require
python.  However, I haven't got to that work for some time, and it's not
likely to make it up my priority list any time soon either.  If you know
you're not going to use git-p4, you can manually skip the python
dependency selection.

If you want to avoid having to deselect the python package using the
(admittedly awkward) setup-*.exe interface, I'd gratefully take patches
and pull requests for this work, either on this list or on the GitHub
repository: <https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git>.

> you don't need the openssh server but you need the client
> and they are in the same package.

Likewise, if you know you're not going to need the SSH client (which
will depend on how you're interacting with the remote repositories), you
can deselect it at installation time.

Given (a) openssh is a small package even including all its dependencies
(totals about 750 kiB by my count) and (b) connecting via SSH is a
mainline use case for Git, I'm not going to change the Cygwin git
packages to skip this dependency.  If you really want Git without SSH
support, you'll need to compile it from source yourself.

You could try petitioning the OpenSSH maintainer, Corinna, to split the
package into openssh-client and openssh-server or similar, which would
reduce some of the dependencies, but for similar reasons I can't imagine
there's much appitite for that.

> If you are programming you need binutils anyway.

Likely true.  In any case, binutils is currently being pulled in via the
python package and git-p4, so as soon as I / someone does the work to
split git-p4 out into a separate package, binutils will stop being a
dependency of the core git package.

Adam
(Your local friendly Cygwin Git maintainer)