Re: too many environment variables on self-compiled xar archiver

On 2017-05-23 16:30, Michael Stellar wrote:
> I am getting the following when running my self-compiled xar 1.6.1 archiver
> gdb xar
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/xar
> [New Thread 12044.0x1f54]
> [New Thread 12044.0xfc8]
> [New Thread 12044.0x2dcc]
> [New Thread 12044.0x2cd8]
> [New Thread 12044.0x2d58]
>       1 [main] xar 12044 C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\xar.exe: *** fatal
> error - internal error reading the windows environment - too many
> environment variables?
>     739 [main] xar 12044 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping
> stack trace to xar.exe.stackdump
> [Thread 12044.0x2dcc exited with code 256]
> [Thread 12044.0xfc8 exited with code 256]
> [Thread 12044.0x2cd8 exited with code 256]
> [Inferior 1 (process 12044) exited with code 0400]
>
> My env variables is here https://pastebin.com/NrWKuaSC , i have tried
> to unset some of the long variables but the error still persist.

Did you notice this entry and does anyone know where this comes from?
	!C:=C:\cygwin\bin

Another poster found a problem with non-ascii accented initial letters
in the environment variable name - perhaps this is the same problem?

If Cygwin environment setup has a problem with an environment variable
name or contents, it should either ignore it, copy it, or convert it to
Cygwin format, but it seems to be stumbling, when it should just be
ignoring it and skipping to the next variable.

Try removing that environment variable, either from the Control Panel,
or directly in regedit if necessary.