Re: Building modules for perl-5.24

Ken Brown writes:
> I'm happy to get them from the source packages.  But I was asking how
> to manage build prerequisites.  For example, perl-Data-Compare depends
> on perl-File-Find-Rule.  So I have to build and install the latter
> before I can build the former.  How do you handle this?  I was
> assuming that you had written a script that helps with this.

I see.  Yes, I have a dependency walker that tells me how to build in
the correct order.  There are a few builds that have cycles, but mostly
you can start from cold and get everything done in one run (you also need to
install each package as you build it of course).  I also have a script
that builds and installs via cygport.  That dependency walker and the
script have a few dependencies of their own, though… plus I have a
patched cygport to support some things it does.

I hope I've gleaned all the dependencies of biber correctly, so this
should be your dependency tree for perl-5.24.1 (the first few have a
cycle somewhere in their dependencies, so you need to build them, then
start from the top again, they're the ones that are indented "too far"):

                               perl-Archive-Zip
                               perl-YAML-LibYAML
                              perl-Module-Build
                              perl-PAR-Dist
                              perl-SUPER
                              perl-Sub-Identify
                              perl-inc-latest
                             perl-Test-MockModule
                          perl-List-MoreUtils
                         perl-Exporter-Tiny
                         perl-List-MoreUtils-XS
         perl-ExtUtils-Config
         perl-Try-Tiny
        perl-ExtUtils-Helpers
        perl-ExtUtils-InstallPaths
        perl-Importer
        perl-Module-Runtime
        perl-Test-Fatal
        perl-Test-Requires
        perl-Test-Simple
       perl-Dist-CheckConflicts
       perl-Module-Build-Tiny
       perl-Module-Implementation
       perl-Package-Stash-XS
       perl-Sub-Exporter-Progressive
       perl-Sub-Info
       perl-Term-Table
       perl-Variable-Magic
      perl-B-Hooks-EndOfScope
      perl-Class-Data-Inheritable
      perl-Class-Inspector
      perl-Devel-StackTrace
      perl-Eval-Closure
      perl-File-ShareDir-Install
      perl-IPC-Run3
      perl-MRO-Compat
      perl-Package-Stash
      perl-Role-Tiny
      perl-Test-Needs
      perl-Test2-Suite
     perl-Class-Tiny
     perl-Class-XSAccessor
     perl-Exception-Class
     perl-File-Copy-Recursive
     perl-File-ShareDir
     perl-Path-Tiny
     perl-Scope-Guard
     perl-Specio
     perl-Sub-Uplevel
     perl-Test-Deep
     perl-Test-Without-Module
     perl-Test2-Plugin-NoWarnings
     perl-namespace-clean
    perl-CPAN-Meta-Check
    perl-Class-Singleton
    perl-Encode-Locale
    perl-File-Find-Object
    perl-HTTP-Date
    perl-IO-HTML
    perl-Inline-Files
    perl-LWP-MediaTypes
    perl-Number-Compare
    perl-Params-ValidationCompiler
    perl-Parse-RecDescent
    perl-Scalar-List-Utils
    perl-Test-File-ShareDir
    perl-Test-Warn
    perl-Test-Warnings
    perl-Text-Glob
    perl-URI
    perl-namespace-autoclean
   perl-DateTime-Locale
   perl-DateTime-TimeZone
   perl-Encode-ISO2022
   perl-File-Find-Object-Rule
   perl-HTML-Tagset
   perl-HTTP-Message
   perl-Inline
   perl-Params-Util
   perl-Sub-Install
   perl-Sub-Name
   perl-Test-Exception
   perl-Test-NoWarnings
   perl-XML-NamespaceSupport
   perl-XML-SAX-Base
  perl-Algorithm-Diff
  perl-Capture-Tiny
  perl-DateTime
  perl-Encode-EUCJPASCII
  perl-Encode-HanExtra
  perl-Encode-JISX0213
  perl-File-Listing
  perl-HTML-Parser
  perl-HTTP-Cookies
  perl-HTTP-Daemon
  perl-HTTP-Negotiate
  perl-Net-HTTP
  perl-Net-SSLeay
  perl-POD2-Base
  perl-Package-DeprecationManager
  perl-Readonly
  perl-Test-LeakTrace
  perl-Test-RequiresInternet
  perl-Test-TrailingSpace
  perl-WWW-RobotRules
  perl-XML-SAX
 perl-Business-ISBN-Data
 perl-CPAN-Changes
 perl-Class-Factory-Util
 perl-Config-AutoConf
 perl-DateTime-Format-Strptime
 perl-ExtUtils-LibBuilder
 perl-File-Find-Rule
 perl-File-Slurp-Tiny
 perl-IO-Socket-SSL
 perl-List-SomeUtils
 perl-List-UtilsBy
 perl-MIME-Charset
 perl-Mozilla-CA
 perl-Params-Validate
 perl-Text-Diff
 perl-Tie-Cycle
 perl-XML-LibXML
 perl-libwww-perl
perl-Business-ISBN
perl-Business-ISMN
perl-Business-ISSN
perl-Class-Accessor
perl-Data-Compare
perl-Data-Dump
perl-Data-Uniqid
perl-DateTime-Calendar-Julian
perl-DateTime-Format-Builder
perl-Encode-JIS2K
perl-File-Slurp
perl-File-Which
perl-LWP-Protocol-https
perl-Lingua-Translit
perl-List-AllUtils
perl-Log-Log4perl
perl-Regexp-Common
perl-Sort-Key
perl-Test-Differences
perl-Text-BibTeX
perl-Text-CSV
perl-Text-Roman
perl-Unicode-Collate
perl-Unicode-LineBreak
perl-XML-LibXML-Simple
perl-XML-LibXSLT
perl-XML-Writer
perl-autovivification

That looks like about half of all perl distributions in Cygwin to date.
That'll take a while to build, my last build of all modules for both
arches ran for almost a full day (although that's a rather slow
machine).  One of the round tuits I'm out of is for parallelizing the
build across the three machines I can throw at it.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.