Re: Making a package obsolete

On 15/05/2017 15:30, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/14/2017 1:38 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 13/05/2017 20:44, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/13/2017 7:12 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 12/05/2017 22:02, Ken Brown wrote:
I have a package that is going to become obsolete, but its contents
will
be distributed among several other packages.  So I can't handle
this by
defining OBSOLETES in any one .cygport file.  Is there a standard
way to
deal with this using cygport, or should I just create the necessary
tarballs and .hint file manually?

I think the best way to do that is to bump your package revision,
change
it's category to _obsolete, make it's contents empty, and make it
depend
on the packages which are replacing it.

Yes, that was my first thought.  But there's no longer a source file for
the obsolete package[1], and cygport complains that SRC_URI must be
defined.  Maybe cygport should be patched to allow an empty SRC_URI when
the category is _obsolete.  Or do you see another way around this?

I would think you can use the same SRC_URI as previously, but set
PKG_CONTENTS="" and PKG_IGNORE="*" ?

You're right, I can do something like that.  I was being overly pedantic
in wanting SRC_URI to be "accurate".  Sorry for the noise.

You can always make an empty tarball called texlive-collection-htmlxml-20170515.tar.xz or whatever, and use that for SRC_URI.