Re: Installing sshd with option --type manual

On 5/4/2017 3:31 PM, Fran Litterio wrote:
On 4/28/2017 11:48 AM, Charles Russell wrote:
Starting from a default installation of sshd that was working
properly, I tried uninstalling sshd with cygrunsrv and reinstalling
with --type manual.

(cygrunsrv --install sshd --path /usr/sbin/sshd.exe --type manual)

After rebooting I cannot start sshd with cygrunsrv.  Instead, I get
message "Error starting a service: Query service status: Win32 Error
1062"

You can try opening the Services Control Panel app (run "start
services.msc" in a Command Prompt) and changing the startup type of
service "Cygwin sshd" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".

In theory, that was all you changed with your cygrunsrv command.

Is it practical to use "--type manual" with sshd, or are its security
restrictions too tight for this kind of installation? My intent was to
have sshd off by default, but available when I need it, with current
status easily seen with ps.

I routinely stop sshd with "net stop sshd" and re-start it later with
"net start sshd".  If it's configure for manual startup, these commands
should work just as well.

[...] or should I rerun
ssh-host-config?

In cases where I have re-run ssh-host-config, I have first deleted the
service with "sc delete sshd" as Administrator out of a desire not to
confuse the config script with an existing service. But that may not be
necessary.
--
Fran