Re: Setup not asking for proxy user,password / was Resend: pdfseparate does nothing for me?

On Thu, 12/8/16, Achim Gratz  wrote:

 Subject: Re: Setup not asking for proxy user,password / was Resend: pdfseparate does nothing for me?
 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Thursday, December 8, 2016, 2:22 PM

 Ian Lambert writes:
 > The proxy gives the 407 error, based on
 some testing
 > with wget -d. Even without
 providing user/password, it works

 around half the time, for wget. Below are some debug output
 from setup,
 > and debug output from wget
 testing, which shows the 407 error.

 It took some time to get to it, but I've
 tested setup.exe using an NTLM authenticating
 proxy @work today and it does exactly what it
 is supposed to do (pop up
 a dialog box
 asking for the user name and password, then authenticate
 the proxy and use it for the rest of the
 session).

 So your problem
 still seems to be some misconfiguration on the proxy
 side that causes communication with setup.exe
 to fail.
= = =

You can call it "misconfiguration." I can call it
"different" configuration than setup assumes.
The point remains: other programs, like wget,
 consistently work OK, without popups, when given
proxy username and password in either .bashrc
or .wgetrc, and I am sure they were not customized
for this proxy.

Maybe a comparison of how wget handles
authentication versus how setup handles it
could help?

 > Defaulting to
 empty mirror list
 > site: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/

 Err… could it be that your
 proxy isn't actually of functioning as an FTP
 proxy?  How about using a HTTP mirror
 instead?

= = =

No. Wget works OK with either type. HTTP mirror
has been tried with setup, and also does not work.

From previous post, setup fails to retrieve mirrors.lst,
with an HTTP, before failing to retrieve setup.ini.
Again, wget can retrieve these consistently OK
when given username and password.

net: Proxy
Cached mirror list unavailable
get_url_to_membuf http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst