Re: make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:41:25 -0800, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

On 12/6/2016 6:54 PM, Arnaut B wrote:
Hi All,

After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
is broken. It spits the following error:

  C:/cygwin/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:

My setup-x86.exe version is 2.876

I did try "cygcheck.exe /usr/bin/make", and got the following error:

  cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygcrypt-0.dll

So I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the crypt package under Libs, but
that didn't work. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the make
package, and that did not fix the issue either. Any help would be
appreciated.

/usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package. Try reinstalling that.

Ken

Thanks. That did it. Wish there was an easier way to get the answer than going on the mailing list. Is there a command that can check what package a dll belongs to?