Re: Fullscreen application with Cygwin/X in multiwindow mode

On 29/11/2016 11:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
But ideally this would be fixed by adding support for
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN to the WM.

Any idea how much effort would be required to implement the fullscreen
support? Any major hurdles to overcome? It may be something I could
work on in my spare time.

Patches are always welcome.

I think this should be pretty straightforward to add, although it might be a bit tedious.

[1],[2] should help you get started :)

Looking at this in a little more detail, I wasn't quite accurate in my statement above: There is very limited support for this state, in that windows which are created with it are probably shown correctly.

I think what's needed is extend the handling of _NET_WM_STATE messages so it can handle a window being changed to _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN. (At the moment _NET_WM_STATE is, only handled when it can be mapped down to an equivalent WM_CHANGE_STATE message, see [3])

[1] https://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-x-cg.html
[2] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
[3] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jturney/xserver/commit/?h=cygwin-release-1.19&id=55c2ca8cd9287850077102d4ba662cfd2c571ca9

Depends, what you mean by "fullscreen". All too often people say "fullscreen"
when in fact they mean "borderless windowed".
The difference is crucial.
For the latter, you don't do anything short of setting some additional flags
on your window and size it to display resolution.

In this context, _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN means 'borderless maximized'