Re: case sensitivity on Windows 7 Enterprise with NTFS drive

> On Nov 18 13:59, Matthias Herz wrote:
>> Dear Cygwin Team,
>>
>> on my cygwin installation I have problems with case sensitivity although I
>> did everything described here:
>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesens=
>>
>> I really need case sentitivity since I would like to use OpenFOAM (c++ cfd
>> library) inside cygwin and OpenFOAM has a bunch of files like scalar.H and
>> Scalar.H.
>>
>> The minimal example for my problem is:
>>> mkdir test1
>>> touch test1/file.txt
>>> touch test1/File.txt
>>
>> This gives me
>> test1
>> |-- file.txt
>> |-- File.txt
>>
>> This means touch is somehow case sensitive but
>>> cp -r test1 test2
>> fails with the message:
>>> cp: cannot create regular file /test2/file.txt: File exists
>
> Works for me, I just tested it on a local NTFS.  Is the file tree on
> some remote FS by any chance?  If so, what Fs is it?  Some FSes are
> known to have (not so) funny bugs when deviating from Windows defaults.
> Or, was the CWD set the same way when calling mkdir vs. when calling cp?
> If you use Windows path rather than POSIX paths, case sensitivity won't
> work since WIndows paths ar handled with Windows default assumptions.
>
> Bottom line is, I *know* it works, and it does so since Cygwin 1.7.1.
> There must be some quirk in either your FS or in your path handling.

As I said already, this simply isn't a portable solution.

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 xxxxxx 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:32 x86_64 Cygwin

$ mkdir A

$ mkdir a
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘a’: File exists

$ rmdir A

$ touch A && ls -l A
-rw-r--r-- 1 cygSimple cygSimple 0 Nov 18 10:26 A

$ sleep 60 && touch a && ls -l A
-rw-r--r-- 1 cygSimple cygSimple 0 Nov 18 10:27 A

My installation is on the native C:\ drive that is NTFS.

--
cyg Simple