CancelSynchronousIo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I've read the FAQ. I feel the matter isn't resolved and I haven't been able to use Cywin/XP for a while/

Has anyone tried installing Cygwin on Windows XP? The installation doesn't work because the applications seem to be linked with newer Windows run-time libs. Bash and dash do not work for example, they're looking for the missing kernel call, CancelSynchronousIo.

I don't seem able to go back to a working system from the upgrade, and a new installation doesn't work.

Given that 32bit Windows 7 and Vista have been around for years, why was it decided to drop support for Windows XP? Presumably, there's nothing much to be gained by doing this.

Thanks,
Keith