permisions: cat from bash vs type from cmd

Hi,

I am sure there is a fine explanation for what I see here, but what do
I need to read to understand, or what is the explanation.

My friend is trying to protect his .netrc on his virtual server, which
works when I uses native windows commands, but I can see his file when
I uses cygwin? I am running on my own PC and we are on the same
domain.

morten@mortenpc ~
$ cat //virtualserver/d$/mhome/.netrc
machine computerxxx login userxxx password passxxx

morten@mortenpc ~
$ cmd
Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rettigheder forbeholdes.

D:\mhome>type \\virtualserver\d$\mhome\.netrc
Adgang nægtet.

D:\mhome>exit

morten@mortenpc ~
$ mount
D:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,noacl)
D:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,noacl)
D:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
D:/mhome on /home/morten type ntfs (binary,noacl)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
H: on /cygdrive/h type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
O: on /cygdrive/o type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
P: on /cygdrive/p type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
S: on /cygdrive/s type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)
X: on /cygdrive/x type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,noumount,auto)

morten@mortenpc ~
$

"Adgang nægtet." means access denied.

/Morten