Re: bash: igncr shell option breaks my PS1 prompt

Greetings, Gene Pavlovsky!

> # PS1='\e[1;30m\D{%T}\e[m$(test \j -ne 0 && echo "\e[1;37mj:\j\e[m")${STY:+ \e[1;32m${STY%%.*}\e[m} \e[1;33m\w\e[m\n# '
> 14:32:22 /usr/local/bin
> # set -o igncr
> bash: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
> bash: command substitution: line 1: `test 0 -ne 0 && echo " j:0")'
> 14:32:24{STY:+ } /usr/local/bin
> # set +o igncr
> 14:32:26 /usr/local/bin
> #

> What's wrong with this? It works fine on a Linux box.

Try using printf instead of echo, and explicitly quote any dubious characters.

> I'm considering rolling back bash until I can figure this out.

> I really think it was an unwise move to hastily modify the `read` bash
> built-in's behavior without a lot of testing. And basically now I
> should either put Cygwin-specific checks (if cygwin, then set igncr
> shell option) in all of my scripts that *might* be affected, or be
> forced to set igncr shell option system-wide, which I'd prefer not to
> do.

I don't understand, WHY it was modified, if at all.
But did you check the other side of your issue? Does the tool you read from
prints CRLF EOL? And if it is ONLY CRLF, and not CRCRLF, like some silly
things do.

> Can't imagine I'm the only guy whose scripts might be getting weird
> problems now. Unless everybody been using `igncr` shell option (off by
> default) for ages, and I'm the only guy who just heard about that?

Everybody not using CR's for ages to begin with.

> Personally I don't like the `igncr` option's behavior. I want my bash
> scripts to fail if somebody saved (or checked out from git) with CRLF
> line endings. If it happens, I will notice immediately and then fix
> them. Don't want to have bash scripts with CRLF line endings lurking
> on my system, pretending to be nice - then one day I'll copy one to my
> Linux box where it will break, surprising me more than when I first
> created it or checked out from git.

Again, I feel like your analysis is lacking and/or you are mixing things.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...