Re: cygpath -w and .exe magic

On 26.08.2016 15:19, Lee Dilkie wrote:

On 8/26/2016 9:08 AM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
Dear Cygwin Community,

$ ls -l
total 60
-rwxr-x--- 1 knellis Domain Users 60927 Aug 26 08:57 hello.exe
$ ./hello
Hello, world!
$ cygpath -w hello
hello
$

The purpose of cygpath -w, it seems to me, is to provide
to Windows a valid path given a Posix path.

Given executable file foo.exe, which Cygwin allows to be
referenced simply as foo, should not: cygpath -w foo
return: foo.exe
instead of: foo
?

Passing foo to a Windows application will certainly
be a problem. I recognize this might be considered a
change of scope for the program, but I think the tool
should do the .exe magic rather than pass off this
responsibility to the user. Food for thought.

and break everyone who has existing code to take care of this?

If it is done, it should be done as an additional option, i'd say.

Herbert