Re: The Cygwin User Guide on path names

Greetings, Mark Hansen!

> On 8/25/2016 7:53 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Linda Walsh!

>>> ---
>>
>>> Curious -- but why?  How do you make use of win32 pathnames
>>> ( "C:\bin" versus "/bin" or "/c/bin" or "/cygdrive/c/bin" )
>>> depending on how your cygwin is configured).
>>
>> I make use of win32 paths directly.
>> diff and grep are the most used tools.
>>
>>> I'm wondering if maybe there is a misunderstanding?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
>>> For the most part -- many cygwin apps may not work
>>> correctly if given a win32 path in the same place you'd
>>> put a *nix path due to the backslashes being turned into
>>> quote sequences.
>>
>> That's too bad for such poor apps.
>>
>>> I mean, you can't type:

>>>   (instead of )

> Can we differrentiate between C:/bin and C:\bin?

> I've always used C:/bin. Using drive identifiers and UNIX-style path separators.

> Is the proposal that this no longer be valid under cygwin?

There's (hopefully) no such proposal. Only a warning that it may not work in
all cases.

Also, @ Linda, the string escaping is done by the shell before passing
arguments to the command, as I understand.
If I'm starting an application not from shell, the app, being a good citizen,
should not second-guess the arguments it is given.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...