Re: PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

On 09/08/2016 02:17, Michel LaBarre wrote:
On Aug  8 09:43, cyg Simple wrote:
On Aug  7 10:11, Herbert Stocker wrote:
On 05.08.2016 17:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

So, if we actually implement PATHEXT, its usage would be limited to
suffixes of binary files and files starting with #!<interpreter>, or we
would have to use a way to start an application which doesn't work well
in a POSIX scenario, or we would have to search the registry for the
suffix linkage.  Additionally to searching a variable number of files
for each single file access.
[Michel]
[Michel] #! Is better than nothing but doing PATHEXT fully might put these considerations to rest forever.
[Michel] Fundamentally, the means of invoking a file interpreter in Windows are determined by the registry's file associations;
[Michel] anything else is an assumption.
[Michel] I don't know how cygwin.dll is implemented but the only suffixes that need to be looked up are the ones in PATHEXT and that could be done once could it not?

Additionally I would (again?) like to stress that PATHEXT is a feature
of CMD, aka, the shell.  It's not a feature of the underlying libs.
[Michel]
[Michel] PATHEXT is supported by Powershell and VBS.  MKS's shells (ksh,sh,perl) also.
[Michel] Likely others since it is considered consistent with Windows.
[Michel] It likely should have been implemented at a lower level but was not.

Michel,
your quest is starting to boring me.

If you want this feature, please propose a patch to implement it.
It will be evaluated and we will consider the additional burden (aka delay) that it will introduce on the current usage.

For my usage of cygwin, your feature request is of no interest.
If I want to run a specific program based on extension I can do
by myself or use cygstart.

Regards
Marco