Re: wget 1.17.x creates odd permissions on downloaded files

On 06/22/2016 02:40 PM, Zube wrote:
wget 1.16.3 seemed to work fine for a simple task, that is to download
putty.exe from a local http site.  Start up a normal windows cmd.exe,
download, run, no muss, no fuss.

The last two wget versions (1.17.1-1 and -2) seem to exhibit the
following issues when putty.exe is downloaded.

1) putty will not execute.  Error is "Access is denied".

2) Examining the permissions on putty.exe, the first thing that
comes up is an error that reads:

"The permissions on putty.exe are incorrectly ordered, which may
cause some entries to be ineffective."

The permissions are odd.  When compared to a working machine (wget
1.16.3, cygwin 2.3.1) there is an additional group ("NULL SID") with
special access of type Deny and several of the other users and groups
have similar "type Deny" restrictions.

If I use a browser to download the file or a different version of wget
(e.g. https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/) and drop putty.exe in
the same directory, there are no issues.  It also doesn't matter where
the file is dropped.

This occurs on both a Windows 7 64-bit machine that has had
32-bit cygwin upgraded multiple times and on a new Windows 10
64-bit machine with 32-bit cygwin installed fresh.  It occurs
under cmd.exe and also under Cygwin.bat, for both administrators
and non-administrators.

Any help greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Remember, Cygwin's wget will not create a file with execute permissions
automatically.  You have to do a "chmod +x putty.exe" if you want it to
be recognized as an executable.

--
Larry