RE: Cmake on cygwin64 fails with error "C compiler "/usr/bin/cc" is not able to compile a simple test program"

Tony Kelman writes:
> I'm at a conference this week so really busy, but it sounds like I may
> need to update cmake to the latest version (which is overdue anyway)
> if something in the latest gcc is unhappy. Can you provide full
> reproduction steps, a source repo or tarball to download? Also looking
> into (and posting) the full content of the cmake error/output log
> files might provide more information about what the problem is

I made the world's smallest example, taken from the CMake tutorial.
There's a CMakeLists.txt that contains this:

                cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6)
                project (Tutorial)
                add_executable(Tutorial tutorial.cxx)

and a tutorial.cxx that contains this:

                // A simple program that computes the square root of a number
                #include <stdio.h>
                #include <stdlib.h>
                #include <math.h>
                int main (int argc, char *argv[])
                {
                  if (argc < 2)
                    {
                    fprintf(stdout,"Usage: %s number\n",argv[0]);
                    return 1;
                    }
                  double inputValue = atof(argv[1]);
                  double outputValue = sqrt(inputValue);
                  fprintf(stdout,"The square root of %g is %g\n",
                          inputValue, outputValue);
                  return 0;
                }

Just create the two files above and do:

	$ cmake .
	$ make
	$ ./Tutorial 2

On 32-bit Cygwin, it all works nicely as expected.  But on my fresh 64-bit
installation, I get the " not able to compile a simple test program" message.

I think Hans-Bernhard's theory that there's some other app interfering is
probably correct, and it probably has something to do with my company's
security software.

I will post more information in subsequent posts that hopefully stay under
the "spam score threshold".