gettimeofday not defined

Sometime in the past several months MPlayer stopped compiling for Cygwin.  There
was a complaint about gettimeofday not being defined.  The failing file did
include sys/time.h, which contains a definition.  I found one similar report
on the Cygwin mailing list.  I noticed that MPlayer was putting the macro
"-D_ISOC99_SOURCE=1" on the gcc command line.  I replaced it with
"-D_DEFAULT_SOURCE=1" and MPlayer compiled.  It also works without any
...SOURCE.

Here is a small test case to show the problem:

//#define _ISOC99_SOURCE 1
#define _DEFAULT_SOURCE 1
#include <sys/time.h>

int main() {
    struct timeval start;

    gettimeofday(&start, NULL);
}

It compiles with _DEFAULT_SOURCE or without any ...SOURCE. I hope someone can
examine the very complicated #if statements in sys/feature.h and sys/time.h
and tell me that whether I should raise the issue  with the MPLayer folks or
not.