Re: missing partitions under /dev

On Jun 10 16:59, Aaron Schneider wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 12:00:27 +0200
> > From: corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com
> >
> > Cygwin's /dev/sd* emulation doesn't support more than 15 partitions yet.
> > This would need some rework of the device naming code.
> >

> > Corinna
>
> I see. I though that it was a Windows problem that didn't provide
> the partitions properly to cygwin if they weren't formatted with a
> known filesystem or something related.Â
>
> Isn't any other way to access those partitions even from WindowsÂ
> Powershell?

There may be a way even using Cygwin.  If you know which disk X it is,
you could try accessing it via /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskX/PartitionY.
No guarantee but for raw access this might be sufficient.

> Is the feature to support more than 15 partition planned
> toÂbe implemented?

I looked into that and theoretically the changes are small.

However, there's an undesired side-effect.  The device parser code uses
an auto-generated minimally pruned 0-trie, created by a tool called
shilka.  The problem is that the resulting object file is already very
big, compared to the rest of the DLL.  Amazing but true, about 20% of
the object file is just this trie code and its data, whihc, IMHO, is
already quite bad.  By adding support for partitions 16-63, this object
code gets 2.5 times bigger!

This is way too much, and I think what we have to do first is to
replace this autogenerated 0-trie code by some simpler, hand-written
parser before we can consider adding support for more partitions.

Corinna

Red Hat