Re: git 2.8.3 spurious output

On 6/8/2016 10:19 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:

On 6/8/2016 9:57 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:
Hi there,

On 6/8/2016 5:35 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:
Hi,

When running git 2.8.3 with certain of its commands (submodule for
example) I get spurious output on the terminal:

cacu ~/src/nordic/gh/pc-ble-driver-py (master) $ git submodule deinit .
': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `displaypath Cleared
directory ''
': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `name
': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `url
': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `displaypath
Submodule '' () unregistered for path ''

The variables referenced above (displaypath, name, url) seem to be part
of the git-submodule script in /usr/libexec/git-core.

It looks like output lines are being overwritten, which suggests that
you have DOS line endings somewhere (maybe in git-submodule?). For
example, there seems to be a reference to line 88 of gettext.sh,
partially overwritten by something else. (Notice that git-submodule
calls eval_gettext many times; the latter is defined in
/usr/bin/gettext.sh.)

That's one of the first thing I tried, I ran:

$ dos2unix /usr/libexec/git-core/git-submodule

But the spurious output is still there.

There doesn't seem to be a /usr/bin/gettext.sh in my Cygwin
installation.

I see that you have some msys stuff in your path. Do you have gettext.sh
there? ('which gettext.sh' should find it.)

Yep, that's it!

$ which gettext.sh
/cygdrive/c/mingw/bin/gettext.sh

So what's the better way of fixing this? Making /mingw/bin/gettext.sh have UNIX line endings or replacing it with the proper Cygwin gettext.sh that I seem to be missing?

One solution would be to install Cygwin's gettext package, so that Cygwin's gettext.sh precedes MinGW's in your path. (Note that git doesn't require gettext; it's not needed because git-sh-i18n provides a definition of eval_gettext on systems that don't have it.

In general, however, it seems to me that you're asking for trouble by having MinGW binaries in your path while working in Cygwin.

Ken