Re: Question about XP support

Am 25.05.2016 um 16:54 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On May 25 09:56, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On 25 May 2016 at 06:07, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
On May 24 20:38, Herbert Stocker wrote:
On 24.05.2016 18:44, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I thought that support for Windows XP had been removed from Cygwin.
No, has not yet been removed.
And i'm sooo happy about this.
Uh oh, bad timing...

The next release 2.5.2 introduces the first non-XP compatible code.
It's in a seldom used corner of the code and it doesn't require
functions unavailable on XP, so it will very likely not break 99% of the
existing applications yet.

But the next release after will very likely break XP support entirely.
Would this be something to move to 3.x because there seems to be a lot
of people who come onto the list a lot. That way they know they can
use 2.5.1 and that is the last 'stable' release they need to 'fork'
from as say Cygnus-XP1 to keep going?
The XP-breaking release will certainly be a major release.  I doubt it's
called 3.0, though.  2.6 is more likely.
May I propose 2.7, to suggest "needs Windows 7"? And 2.siX would be the
last to support Xp, to have some memorable acoustic connotation...:)
Thomas

---