Re: add fish to /etc/shells (base-files)

On 2016-05-11 12:09, Andrew Schulman wrote:
Am 10.05.2016 um 20:19 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
Achim, can you please add /bin/fish and /usr/bin/fish to /etc/shells in
base-files?

I seem to remember that this was discussed before.  If you could perhaps
look up that discussion and fill me in what the conclusion was last time
around?

Hm, you're right, it was discussed before:

https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00696.html

I don't know if there was consensus, but the last word there from CGF was
that shell packages should run a postinstall step to add themselves to
/etc/shells.

While I'm always ready to reconsider previous decisions, this is how it appears to be handled in Linux distros. The implication thereof is that (once all packages have been adapted) the default /etc/shells should only contain those shells available by default (namely, sh, bash, and /sbin/nologin), e.g.:

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/setup.git/tree/shells

(except that /sbin != /usr/sbin on Cygwin.)

That seems reasonable. There are questions about the right way to do it,
but I'll ask those in a separate thread.

Probably best if we have a cygport function for creating the necessary postinstall and preremove commands.

--
Yaakov