Ruby version 2.2.4-1 troubles

Ruby stops working when I install 2.2.4-1 and resumes working when I downgrade to 2.2.3-1.

I would guess the problem is triggered by anti-virus software (which I cannot disable) preventing the load of some new DLL.

Has anyone else encountered (and worked-around) this problem?

Symptoms:
- Ruby scripts all silently exit with status 0 (no error message)
- Invoking the ruby command directly also exits with status 0 and no error message

Environment:
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Cygwin 32 bit (some packages I need were not available as 64 bit)
- Installed for local user only (I don’t have admin privileges)