Re: git and absolute Windows-style paths

On 4/20/2016 9:10 AM, Brian Clifton wrote:
I agree completely-

Faking out git by wrapping it as a function in your .bashrc would be an ideal approach.  I was the person championing that PR which got rejected, unfortunately. The NPM folks were recommending to use mingw which *is* supported... but I haven't seen any updates to that project since 2013... and I prefer the approach Cygwin takes :)

Eliot, I would be all about taking you up on fixing that psuedo-code example I shared earlier. I have a lot to learn about shell scripting and while I am sure I can figure it out, having help would be extremely appreciated :)

The example I shared in my intro thread:
#####
function git {
     for var in "$@"
     do
         if [[ $var == *":\\"* ]]; then
             $var="$(cygpath $var)" #this doesn't work, but the idea is to do something like this
         fi
     done
     command git "$@"
}
#####

This extract from a bash function, using an array assignment, might be of interest.

      IFS=$'\n'
      args=($(cygpath -m -- "$@"))
      IFS=$' \t\n'
      gvim "${args[@]}"