Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

On 2016-04-12 09:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Apr 12 14:58, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 12/04/2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote: By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10: http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10 [1] >>http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx [2]
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html [3]
It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to make this work. But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt - they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full Linux userland out-of-the-box. The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point. Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature? Does it work as well as is claimed? I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here insted of on cygwin-talk. Andrew Before W10 became the standard it will take some time. Considering the previous history of Microsoft with Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) , my feeling is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes [4] If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

Huh, right. If only...

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/afdf1b68-1f3e-47f5-94cf-51e397afe073/ [5]

Corinna

I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment on Greeks and gifts is right on target.

While Bash in Windows would be great, I just don't think Microsoft can be trusted. I'll keep Cygwin available even after I'm forced to give up my perfectly good Win XP OS and adopt the truly horrible Win 10 OS and its attendant interface fiasco (yes I do miss Win 3.11 for workgroups).

In the mean time, this was funny (in case you need your mood lightened) and very slightly on the bash topic (near the end). Hitler uses Docker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivpCKEiQOQ

Brian