Re: ctrl-c doesn't reliably kill ping

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM, cyg Simple wrote:

> My ISP for my connection to the WWW is the one that is doing the
> inappropriate redirects.  I sometime get these even when using VPN to my
> employer's intranet.  My ISP also provides phone and TV Cable and I'm
> guessing that the accepted practiced exception is practiced by all such
> companies.

Can confirm. Readers may be interested to learn that I tried to set
the DNS manually in the connection properties of my VPN connection (to
the exact same thing the VPN connection would have configured anyway)
but this did not work either. I used my ISP's opt-out page and that
didn't help. I also learned how to empty DNS caches in Windows
(ipconfig /flushdns) and Google Chrome (chrome://net-internals/#dns)
and none of those measures was effective. I couldn't use the wiki with
its IP address because the links apparently are full paths and there's
redirects involved (with full paths) and every complete URL goes to
name resolution. It was as if  (that means I'm speculating here) as if
using the standard DNS port was causing the ISP to DPI my DNS
requests. Or maybe they are just looking in all the packets. Could the
revenue from those bogus links be so high???