Re: bash completion after equals sign does not work after upgrading to bash_completion 2.1-2

On 3/13/2016 1:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Ken Brown writes:
[Achim, /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some outdated comments
referring to /etc/bash_completion.]

I need further discussion and preferrably a patch.  Since I don't use
bash, I don't know anything about how its completion mechanism works and
reading the man page makes me none the wiser.

I'm not an expert on bash-completion either, but here are my thoughts on what's in .bashrc now. Someone who knows more should comment further.

# Uncomment to turn on programmable completion enhancements.
# Any completions you add in ~/.bash_completion are sourced last.
# [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && . /etc/bash_completion

This is obsolete because (a) /etc/bash_completion has been replaced by /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion and (b) the latter is already sourced by /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh.

# COMP_CVS_REMOTE=1

This is probably OK.

# COMP_CONFIGURE_HINTS=1

This is probably OK.

# COMP_TAR_INTERNAL_PATHS=1

I don't think this will have any effect unless it's set *before* /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is sourced; so it doesn't belong in .bashrc now that /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is sourced by /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh.

Ken