Re: Simple .cmd file works under Cygwin but not Window's cmd interpreter.

Greetings, Andy Hall!

> This is a puzzle that I have not been able to sort out despite trying all
> sorts of variations. Basically, I maintain a bunch of Crystal Reports based
> on Crystal reports XI R2. Sorry, I have no choice there.
> I have this installed and running on a Widows 10 machine. How I did that is
> another story.
> Recently I was asked what it would take to internationalize these reports.
> Fortunately, CR has a mechanism that allows you to define your own functions
> that can be used in reports which  allow you to access properties files
> containing the localized entities just as you would for a
> normal Java app.   All well and good.

> So I set about trying to get this to work. The plugin to CR XI R2, is not
> well integrated with the base system and a bit of not so nice manual
> configuration is necessary.
> You have to follow this to the letter, but that is not sufficient.
> Out of the box I could not get it to work. So to debug what was going on I
> wrote a simple bash script to try to get it to work.
> Lo and behold this simple script works:

> #!/bin/bash

> echo " "
> echo "CLASSPATH = $CLASSPATH"
> echo " "
> #JAVA_HOME=C":\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_45"
> echo "JAVA_HOME = $JAVA_HOME"
> echo " "
> echo "PATH = $PATH"

> cd "/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Business Objects/Crystal Reports 11.5"
> java -version
> crw32.exe

> Notice that this seem to do nothing but display some key variables and the
> run CR in its installation directory, just as the normal shortcut does.
> It launches CR which finds the plugin and loads it.

> Now I have a need to do the same outside of the Cygwin environment, so I
> wrote a simple equivalent .cmd file:

> @Echo off

> :: Display CLASSPATH
> set CLASSPATH

echo %CLASSPATH%

> :: Set and display JAVA_HOME
> ::set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_45
> set JAVA_HOME

echo %JAVA_HOME%

> :: Add 32-bit JDK to PATH and display
> ::set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
> set PATH

Just start Java from %ProgramData%\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe
In truth, it IS ALREADY in your %PATH%, if you didn't removed it.

> pushd C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Crystal Reports 11.5

CD /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Crystal Reports 11.5"

> java.exe -version
> crw32.exe
> popd

> If I run this from a bash command prompt it works as well.  It also works
> if I launch cmd from bash and then run the cmd
> file.  That makes sense.

> But here is the puzzle, If I simply click on the runCR.cmd file, say from
> the file explorer, CR launches but does not find the plugin.
> The same happens if I launch a Windows cmd window and run the cmd file outside of Cygwin.

Then the environment is different.
"set > file" in both CMD prompts and diff the output.

> So the question is: ?What could possibly be the difference between the
> Cygwin environment and the Windows cmd environment that makes this work in
> one and not the other??
> I have examined the PATH used in the Cygwin environment and set the PATH in
> the Windows environment to be identical. No change.

It may be some other environment variable.

> I thought it might have to do with whether or not a 32-bit or 64-bit JVM is
> configured in the path, but that does not seem to make a difference.
> It fails if the JVM in the path is 32-bit or 64-bit probably because CR
> really gets its JVM from a registry setting.

> I am at a loss, Does anybody have an idea?

> BTW, I would have expected the reverse to be the case:  works in Windows but not Cygwin.

If I were you, I'd remove all Java versions and then install only one, and see
if it works or not.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin