RE: locate and updatedb

Byron Boulton sent the following at Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:21 AM
>On 2/17/2016 11:00 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote: locate
>> Byron Boulton sent the following at Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:43
>> AM

>>> Are you using dir in some sort of custom way to build the database
>>> used by locate? Or are you saying that rather than ever using the
>>> find command to find files, you use a custom script which uses dir?
>>
>> I use dir only to generate the locate database, because scanning the
>> better part of several disks takes so long.  I do not substitute dir
>> for find for other purposes.  One could, but usually locate does what
>> I need, and when it doesn't, I use find.
>
>understands how to read this custom database? If I read you updatedb.sh
>script properly, it produces a file which is just a sorted text file
>with one line per file found by updatedb.sh.

Sorry.  In the example in the email text I forgot a pipe sign after sort
and feeding into /usr/libexec/frcode, which convert to located format.
That fragment should have been as follows.

sort -u | \
/usr/libexec/frcode > /tmp/updatedb.tmp

It's really been so long since I put updated.sh together that I would need
to study it to make detailed comments.  Indeed, my memories of putting it
together are lost in the mists of time.

What I'd advise is to use the script that comes with findutils,
/usr/bin/updated, as your model.  Substitute dir for find, adjust start
Points 9drives or directories), convert line endings, etc., and running
through cygpath, and making other necessary changes before running through
frcode.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Good luck.

- Barry