Re: Question about incorrect System path from cygpath with case-sensitivity enabled

Greetings, Bryan Henry!

> I enabled (some time ago, not recently) case sensitivity on my Windows 8.1
> system by setting the registry key mentioned in the FAQ here:
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

> Today, I updated Cygwin and noticed a message about a failed postinstall
> script at the end. Here's the excerpt from setup.log.full showing
> /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh exiting early:

> 2016/01/01 15:45:32 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> "/etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh"
> Directory /C/WINDOWS/System32/drivers/etc does not exist; exiting
> If directory name is garbage you need to update your cygwin package
> 2016/01/01 15:45:32 abnormal exit: exit code=1

> Since this was an existing installation, that postinstall script failing
> isn't a big deal since the symlinks that it would normally create already
> exist, but I wanted to dig into why it's failing in the first place in case
> it is a symptom of something bigger. Taking a look at that script and trying
> "/usr/bin/cygpath -S -u" for myself, I see now why it failed:

> [~]$ cygpath -S -u
> /C/WINDOWS/System32
> [~]$ file `cygpath -S -u`
> /C/WINDOWS/System32: cannot open `/C/WINDOWS/System32' (No such file or directory)
> [~]$ file /C/Windows/System32
> /C/Windows/System32: directory

> I get similar results from "cygpath -W". It seems that cygpath has not
> picked up on the fact that the directory is really "Windows" and not
> "WINDOWS",

cygpath uses system calls to return the directories you're asking for.
If a system call return wrong case, cygpath can't do anything to amend it.
You have to fix your system first, then it will just work.

> which is of course important in my case with case sensitivity
> enabled.

The problem is that you have it enabled. Windows was not built with this
setting in mind.
Very little amount of native Windows programs would expect it to be enabled.

> I'm not sure if this is a failure of cygpath directly or perhaps a
> piece of configuration elsewhere that needs to get updated in addition to
> the registry key change mentioned in the FAQ. Can anyone offer any
> recommendations to fix the Windows path returned by cygpath, or is this a bug?

You have to also change all registry keys containing mismatched paths.
Good luck.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin