Question about incorrect System path from cygpath with case-sensitivity enabled

I enabled (some time ago, not recently) case sensitivity on my Windows 8.1 system by setting the registry key mentioned in the FAQ here: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

Today, I updated Cygwin and noticed a message about a failed postinstall script at the end. Here's the excerpt from setup.log.full showing /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh exiting early:

2016/01/01 15:45:32 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh"
Directory /C/WINDOWS/System32/drivers/etc does not exist; exiting
If directory name is garbage you need to update your cygwin package
2016/01/01 15:45:32 abnormal exit: exit code=1

Since this was an existing installation, that postinstall script failing isn't a big deal since the symlinks that it would normally create already exist, but I wanted to dig into why it's failing in the first place in case it is a symptom of something bigger. Taking a look at that script and trying "/usr/bin/cygpath -S -u" for myself, I see now why it failed:

[~]$ cygpath -S -u
/C/WINDOWS/System32
[~]$ file `cygpath -S -u`
/C/WINDOWS/System32: cannot open `/C/WINDOWS/System32' (No such file or directory)
[~]$ file /C/Windows/System32
/C/Windows/System32: directory

I get similar results from "cygpath -W". It seems that cygpath has not picked up on the fact that the directory is really "Windows" and not "WINDOWS", which is of course important in my case with case sensitivity enabled. I'm not sure if this is a failure of cygpath directly or perhaps a piece of configuration elsewhere that needs to get updated in addition to the registry key change mentioned in the FAQ. Can anyone offer any recommendations to fix the Windows path returned by cygpath, or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Bryan Henry