Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.4.0-0.10

On Dec 18 16:58, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Hi
> >- A new mount type "usertemp" has been introduced, which allows to mount
> >   a POSIX directory to the Windows per-user temporary directory:
> >
> >     none /tmp usertemp binary,posix=0 0 0
> That's a nice feature. I wonder, though, how the ordinary user, or the user
> with Linux/Unix background, would become aware of even the existence of that
> feature (so not necessarily studying the documentation).
> I would suggest to add a commented line to /etc/fstab which documents it.

Well, here's the default fstab file:

  # /etc/fstab
  #
  #    This file is read once by the first process in a Cygwin process tree.
  #    To pick up changes, restart all Cygwin processes.  For a description
  #    see https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

  # This is default anyway:
  none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

so it explicitely points to the documentation.  I don't see why we should
move the documentation into the files.  The longer the preceeding comment.
the longer the startup times.  And, you know, Cygwin is slow!!1!11

> Based on similar consideration, by the way, I am not happy with the
> disappearance of /etc/passwd and /etc/groups altogether. Last time I looked
> on SunOS, there were at least dummy files with two comment lines giving a
> hint on how this would be configured in a network.

Cygwin is slow.  I wouldn't want it having to open and read the content
of two more files for no good reason, now that it has to read nsswitch
already.

Corinna

Red Hat