Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 09:53:29AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 11 06:53, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Brian Mathis!
> >
> > > I recently updated to the latest set of cygwin packages, and something
> > > has broken the terminal icon when pinned to the start menu.  When
> > > starting from the Start menu "Cygwin Terminal" icon, mintty comes up
> > > normally, loads my user profile, and the cwd is set to ~.
> >
> > > However, if I right-click the icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to
> > > taskbar", close the existing terminal, then open by clicking on the
> > > pinned taskbar icon, the terminal starts but it does not load the
> > > profile, the cwd is /usr/bin, and no commands can be found (e.g. ls:
> > > command not found).  I have tracked this down to the pinned icon
> > > missing the arguments "-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -".
> >
> > > I'm sure this worked prior to the update, so something seems to have
> > > changed.  I update fairly often, so this is something recent within
> > > the past month or so.  I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 using Cygwin 32bit.
> >
> > I've experienced this same issue across a wide range of applications,
> > including AD management tools.
> >
> > I have a feeling this is unrelated to Cygwin.
>
> Yeah, pinning is only controlled by Windows itself (shell32
> functionality, probably).  It's not under the control of the
> application the shortcut points to.

Not so.  This is related to the recent MinTTY changes[0].  I get the
bugged behaviour on v2.2.1-0, but if I downgrade to v2.1.5-0, I get the
behaviour Brian is describing as correct, with the command line
arguments preserved when the program is pinned.

I'll guess this is, in particular, related to the "optional Windows
taskbar integration" listed in the changelog in the announcement email.

[0] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-11/msg00020.html