Re: Command line length in Ash or Dash Shells

On Oct 27 16:10, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Eric,
>
> On Monday, 2015-10-26 10:14:06 -0600, you wrote:

> >                                                                  So once
> > you start a dash shell, that dash shell can start any number of other
> > dash shells with no command line length limit other than the memory
> > available to your machine.
>
> Assume I terminate  Cygserver and any  other Cygwin  services running, I
> then start "ash.exe" by double clicking it in a Windows Explorer window,
> from the  command line  in the  "ash.exe"  window  I start my  Ash Shell
> script which in turn starts  "setup-x86*.exe"  with a  very long command
> line.
>
> Am I interpreting you correctly in assuming that under these circumstan-
> ces the maximum length of this command line  is 2 * 10**9 ASCII charact-
> ers on my box?

That won't work.  setup.exe is a non-Cygwin application so it's restricted
to the maximum line length of the CreateProcess call, which, per
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682425%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
is 32768 characters.

Corinna

Red Hat