Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.3.0-0.4

On Oct 26 17:03, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Am 26.10.2015 um 11:07 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >Erm, really?  I tested this locally with a directory with hundreds
> >of files, each of which belonged to another user or group, and that
> >resulted in a 25% slowdown.  Not 1000%.  Oh boy.
>
> That test is almost as bad as it can ever get.  Given that enumerating all
> AD accouts with mkpasswd takes about 2 hours and I'm doing something very
> similar here, I'm not even surprised.  I was more surprised to see the
> server go so fast, but my guess is that it can use jumbo frames to talk to
> the AD.

Ok, so you don't seem to think this is a major drawback.

> >>While that hurts, the more usual case with many files from the
> >>same user doesn't feel any slower at the moment.  The access through VPN
> >>will be interesting, though...
> >
> >Did you try this in the meantime?
>
> No, sorry.

No worries.  I'm mulling over the idea to release 2.3.0 this week
without the new ACL handling code to get the latest fixes out of the
door first and push this stuff into a 2.4.0 release in November.

> >Given the above result, I'm wondering if we can afford using AuthZ at
> >all.  OTOH I don't see any other way to get the correct POSIX permissions
> >from a non-Cygwin ACL :(
>
> If you really want fast but incorrect there's always the "noacl" mount
> option.

Right.  OTOH, maybe we could enhance the "acl" mount option?

"acl" -> "quickacl" -> "noacl"?

> --
> Achim.
>
> (on the road :-)