Re: Evolution

On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 20:27 +0000, Doug Lewan wrote:
> It also loaded lots of extra stuff, including gamin which runs
> gam_server (IIRC) like a service. It was eating CPU on occasion,
> and I couldn't figure out how to stop it, and that made updating
> CYGWIN difficult if not impossible.

gamin is a session service; it will exit shortly after the X session
ends.  As for CPU usage, I have the following:

$ cat ~/.gaminrc
fsset ntfs poll 10
fsset vfat none

Obviously this means that gamin will be a bit slower to catch changes,
but that's usually sufficient.

> However, you're inspiring me to go back and see if I can find anything
> like a HOWTO for Evolution.

Make sure you have the cygserver service installed and running, then
start an X session (such as XWin Server or a desktop).  If you want to
use a Google or Windows Live account, first configure those through
Preferences->Online Accounts (in gnome-control-center).  Otherwise, just
run Office->Evolution and follow the wizard to get started.

--
Yaakov