Re: rsync failing due to inability to find libpopt.so

On 9/27/2015 10:19 AM, Richard Hayden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new cygwin 64-bit installation with rsync (3.1.1-1)
> installed. However, when I try to use rsync (e.g. rsync -a
> local-folder username@server:~/remote-folder) I get the following
> error shortly after entering my credentials for the remote server:
>
> rsync: error while loading shared libraries: libpopt.so.0: cannot open
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
> rsync error: remote command not found (code 127) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.0]

I suspect this is a problem with the rsync installation on the remote
side, not on the local side. The Cygwin rsync does not use popt (as you
can see from "cygcheck /usr/bin/rsync"), not does the Cygwin ssh. Also,
Cygwin does not use .so files for popt.

Hacker's Law:
        The belief that enhanced understanding will necessarily stir
        a nation to action is one of mankind's oldest illusions.