Re: Problem with git and file mode changes

Greetings, Dani Moncayo!

> Adam, Ken, thank you for taking time to help me.

> (BTW, did you keep my address in CC?  Because I didn't get any of your
> replies.  I had to check the mailing list web archive [1]).

Per the very purpose of mailing list, you're expected to subscribe for
conversation.
You can't really expect people to go to the trouble of checking if they need
to send additional copies or not.

> BTW(2): For the record, some data points I forgot to give in my initial post:
> * The underlying filesystem is NTFS.
> * I did not have this problem some weeks ago, with the same
>   system, Cygwin installation, and git repo.  Therefore, some
>   change/update in my system/environment must have introduced the problem.

> Ken's suggestion (setfacl -b test) didn't work, but it did work when I
> executed it on individual files (eg. 'test/rmailmm.el' instead of
> 'test').  So the problem is apparently fixed after doing:

>   find . -exec setfacl -b {} \;

> Thank you so much.

The idea of resetting ACL's on the top-level directory is to have a clean
start with the checkout. Doing it on an already existing tree may not yield
desirable resultsâ as you've discovered yourself.

And if you ask me, a VCS that trying to preserve exact access mask is just
asking for trouble.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin