Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support

On 8/30/2015 9:53 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Bryan Berns!

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

On Aug 26 12:56, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
Guess that's better than to stick with the kludges, migration to 10 is
on the way.
 From what I've seen and heard W10, while mostly stable, still coerces users
towards the software as (an expensive) service model and follows the dictum
that Microsoft knows more about what you want than you do (default saves to
microsoft cloud storage, grabs your pictures for background slide show
without asking, etc.).

I hope I can customize it to behave like XP (only the goodies of
course).

http://classicshell.net

That doesn't solve the hotkeys bound at driver levels, unfortunately.
Half of my keyboard dead now thanks to the move to Win7.

Anyway, on the topic: All I could ask is to give us a notice when the final
build for XP is available, so that we could prepare own mirrors.

If you're passionate about it and you have any programming experience,
keyboard filter drivers are quite easy to write.

You don't even need to write anything - standard driver allows key remapping
through registry, if that's what you have in mind.
The driver is not a problem, though, it is OS that register hotkeys in the
kernel.

One more data point... I moved from XP to Win7Pro not too long ago. I agree Cygwin should move beyond XP compatibility level. On XP machines which I now occasionally use, I don't expect to update Cygwin anymore. While an ability to reinstall Cygwin to the last XP-compatible packages would be nice, I have archives of disk partitions so I do not expect to reinstall ever.

Win7 does break a lot of VirtuaWin (for virtual desktops) hotkeys, in return for a lot of functionality I do not care for. Googling for solutions was fruitless. Settled for some loss of functionality (all the WinKey + arrow stuff etc), and use absolute targets instead of relative targets. That is, WinKey + NumPad# for switching desktops and Alt + WinKey + NumPad# for moving app windows to particular desktops. Not ideal, though tolerable, and I look forward to never ever using the Win10 UI. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)