Re: feature request: easier "auto select a close mirror for me"

On Aug 28, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2015.08.28 14:23, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Roger Pack!
>> > It would be awesome if the top option for servers were "auto select
>> > closest" or something like that.
>
> I wouldn't make it part of setup.exe, but a separate tool

setup.exe must remain monolithic, by its nature.

> like Arch Linux's mirrorselect.

Yum has a plugin to do this, too, enabled by default in current RHEL type OSes:

  https://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/FastestMirror

I expect the same is true of apt, but I canât be bothered to chase down a reference.

âNearestâ is the wrong term, since as Andrey points out, geographic proximity is not the best gauge of mirror speed.  Instead, these features generally work out which mirrors are faster by more pragmatic means.