Re: Updated [test]: coreutils-8.24-2

On 08/26/2015 04:16 PM, Fergus wrote:
> Yesterday's update from coreutils-8.23-4 to 8.24-1 has done something
> horrible to cp. Previously
> cp -r {sourcepath}/subdirectory {targetpath}
> is allowed even when {targetpath}/subdirectory already exists - which, very
> often or even usually, it does.

> Surely this is an accident and not an intended property of the update??

Not documented in NEWS, so it is an accident. I'm investigating now.  It
does not reproduce on Linux, so it appears to be a bug in my
Cygwin-specific patches; in particular, I had problems where the file
src/cp.c changed upstream between 8.23 and 8.24, and where I may have
misported part of the cygwin-specific patches to that file when carrying
them forward between versions.

> I have not tried [test]: coreutils-8.24-2 and I do not know whether this and
> maybe other peculiarities of 8.24-1
> have been identified and corrected, but hope that this will eventually
> happen?

No, you're the first to report it (so 8.24-2 has the same issue), but
now that I know about it, it will get fixed soon.