Re: Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big

> For various usability reasons (tabs being the biggest I think), I'm
> using ConEmu (https://github.com/Maximus5/ConEmu) and running bash
> directly from it. I am not sure if it's even possible to use mintty -
> it just might run console -> mintty -> bash, so might present the same
> issue - but will take a look at that to confirm.

> However, assuming it is not possible to run mintty under ConEmu and
> short of downsizing the window, do you know of any solutions /
> workarounds I have with the default console that I can try?

It *is* possible to run mintty under ConEmu. However, ConEmu is designed
as a wrapper around the windows console and doesn't understand Unix-style
terminals such as mintty. Therefore it runs mintty as a "graphical process",
basically reparenting its window. (You can run MS Paint in ConEmu in the
same way...). It works reasonably well, but recent builds of ConEmu exhibit
a problem with focus, moving between mintty instances with the keyboard
or mouse doesn't always move typing focus, which kinda undermines the
multi-tab approach. The problem occurs somewhere after ConEmu build
140109.

I have not tested it with the latest mintty or ConEmu though, so maybe
that problem has gone away? If you test it let us know.

As an example, this task will start 2 minttys in one tab, horizontally
split, using a theme file I have under my home directory and using
the Cygwin icon. CYGROOT is typically C:\Cygwin, of course. Note that
you need the leading ">", it is not part of email quotation!

> %CYGROOT%\bin\mintty.exe -c %USERPROFILE%\repos\dotfiles\colors\mintty-themes\SolarizedDark - -new_console:n:C:%CYGROOT%\Cygwin.ico

%CYGROOT%\bin\mintty.exe -c
%USERPROFILE%\repos\dotfiles\colors\mintty-themes\SolarizedDark -
-cur_console:s1THn:C:%CYGROOT%\Cygwin.ico

Because of the focus problems I am using ConEmu less now, I tend
to use tmux (though alas, that brings in its own separate problems due
to differing terminal emulations meaning some of my Emacs keybindings
don't work, grrrr).

On 21 August 2015 at 13:37, Sous Lesquels <a9f54d2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Warren.
>
>> After sending the window full-screen, lookee lookee:
>>
>> 2014/11/04 17:40:58 Ending cygwin install
>>    112 [main] vi 4424 C:\cygwin64\bin\vi.exe: *** fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL
>> /x: line 6:  4424 Hangup                  vi -c q /var/log/setup.log
>>
>> It happened on the first run, with a 317x85 window and 9999 lines of scrollback buffer.
>
> OK, at least it's reproducible by one more person :)
>
>> So why not run under mintty, then?  Cygwin runs better under mintty in general.
>
> For various usability reasons (tabs being the biggest I think), I'm
> using ConEmu (https://github.com/Maximus5/ConEmu) and running bash
> directly from it. I am not sure if it's even possible to use mintty -
> it just might run console -> mintty -> bash, so might present the same
> issue - but will take a look at that to confirm.
>
> However, assuming it is not possible to run mintty under ConEmu and
> short of downsizing the window, do you know of any solutions /
> workarounds I have with the default console that I can try?
>
> --

Philip Daniels.