Re: X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

On 8/12/2015 2:22 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
At 2015-08-07 11:26, Jon TURNEY was heard to say:
On 06/08/2015 17:56, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
I've upgraded my setup yesterday and ran into a problem running the X
server. X ran just fine before the upgrade, just like any X client I
threw at it. I'm aware that some defaults have changed in the couple of
months since I upgraded, and I hope I've done everything the FAQ
recommends to accommodate these changes. However, no joy.

Starting the X server now is noticeably slower, regardless of how I
start it (Windows start menu, startx, or my hitherto preferred method
startxwin). Biggest problem though is that local X clients cannot
connect. The server output is like this:

$ startxwin /usr/bin/xterm
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist

startxwin is just a shell script (based on the standard startx), which
invokes xauth to add an authorization cookie to ~/Xauthority (which is
also passed to the server using the -auth option)

The file ~/.Xauthority is created during startup, and it is empty
after the server shuts down. It does not make any difference if I
remove the empty file before restarting the X server.

It should have some (binary) content while the server is running, but
that seems to be failing to happen, for some reason.

As a workaround I can start XWin manually like this:
/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow

This works, of course, because this doesn't use -auth.

However, I suppose the default behaviour of startx and startxwin was not
intended to perform like this. Did I miss something obvious?

Indeed.

Is there anything unusual about your home directory?

You might try modifying startxwin to remove the -q from xauth -q to
see if that reveals a bit more information.

I finally got round to run this suggested test too. The first time I try
to start X I get the following output:

$ XAUTHORITY="" startxwin /usr/bin/emacs
Using authority file /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076
Using authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
xauth:  file /home/<username>/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/<username>/.Xauthority does not exist
Using authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.17.2.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 SBHC123 2.2.0(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-03 12:51 x86_64
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win64)
Package: version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow -auth
  /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076

[...nothing interesting here...]

cat: /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076: No such file or directory
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened
the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully
opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter
attributes)

** (emacs:2996): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.a11y.Bus
exited with status 1
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Abstract UNIX domain socket
addresses not supported on this system

(emacs:2996): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
xinit: connection to X server lost

[...normal shutdown sequence...]

Emacs does not manage to open an X window during this process. I tried
to spot .server* in a second MinTTY console during startup, but no such
file would show up although xauth claims to have written the
.serverauth.XXXX file.

Now if I run exactly the same startxwin command a second time, Emacs
*does* start up in an X window, although the startxwin output also
claims this:

cat: /home/<username>/.serverauth.2212: No such file or directory

This time, the second MinTTY console confirms the presence of that file:
$ ls -al .server*
-rw-rwx---+ 1 <username> <group> 52 Aug 12 08:03 .serverauth.2212

Could the problem be related to the group permissions, possibly due to the ACL on your home directory? Here's what I see on my system:

$ ll .serverauth.*
-rw------- 1 <username> <group> 156 2015-08-10 15:44 .serverauth.5968

Ken